This photograph shows the newly completed road near Twin Bridges that bypassed “Slippery-Ford” and the wooden bridges that crossed the American River there. The older road use to pass between Lovers Leap and the large rock at the right, taking what was called at the time, the Swan-Henry toll road. This new road, built-in 1931 bypassed the Swan-Henry toll road, then called the Lincoln Highway in favor of passing to the right of the large rock at right. This is the road we use today.
Whitehall, located just 2 miles east of Riverton near the American River. In the 1910s was owned by Bert Randall who boasted "the best-kegged beer on the great turnpike." That turnpike became the Lincoln Highway in 1913 and remained that until 1928 when it became Highway 50. The building had a "club room" and lobby on the first floor and sleeping quarters on the second. Randall became the postmaster, and for awhile the stop was known as Randall's.
The "Whitehall" building we see today is the result of a remodel in 1935 by Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Jones. The fully renovated and modernized Whitehall had a new lunch and cocktail room, large dining room overlooking the river and a dance floor that would hold 30 couples.