Rare photo looking west of Fred’s Place, located near mile marker 36, along Highway 50. Fred’s place was a resort and roadhouse built by Anna and Fred Scriggs in 1918 on land leased from Eldorado National Forest. Fred’s Place closed in 1965. That’s a fake CHP patrol car in the middle of the photograph, apparently effective in slowing traffic.
Map of location.