Olivers Gas is located on both The Lincoln Highway, and Highway 40 in Clipper Gap, CA. This is the last independent operating gas station on the west slope of The Sierra in Placer County. It has been a gas station, bar, and store since the 1920's. The original structure that would have served Lincoln Highway customers burned in the 1940's and was replaced with the present structure that would be familiar to anyone driving on Highway 40 in those day's.
Before Olivers the site held a gun powder production facility dating from 1889, that lasted until 1917. It closed due to a number of explosions on site, including one that claimed 22 lives. Some of the ruins are still visible. The Lincoln Highway leaves this roadbed and turns right just up at the bend.
This is the view coming down The Lincoln, headed west.
This is facing the opposite way on The Lincoln Highway, east and uphill. Very nice old home on left must have witnessed a lot of interesting events over the years. We are at an elevation in The sierra of about 3000'.